Who doesn’t want that beautiful, charming smile? And it is in no way possible to get that radiant smile without healthy gums and teeth! The basic rule of thumb says that you should visit the dentist every six months for oral prohylaxis and know if your teeth or gums need any special care. Studies have demonstrated that it is fine for people with no dental problems to visit once a year, while those with dental problems should have a check-up every 3 or 4 months.
But the problem is, very few of us are able to spare time to our oral health. Are you also among those who will only visit dentist in time of crisis? Well, then this is a must read for you. While the best care can only come through an expert, it is possible to take some care of teeth and gums with natural remedies at home.
In this article we are going to talk about some of the effective home remedies which will surely help you to overcome the problems related to your gums and teeth.
1. Warm salt water:
Salt water is useful in many ways for sore throat, insect bites, mouth ulcers etc. But did you know that it can also be used as anti-germ mouth wash and soothe the inflammation of gums? A 2016 study suggested that if you rinse your mouth with salt water, it will effectively help you reduce gum inflammation.
Procedure to follow salt rinse
- MIx well 1 tsp. of salt and 1 cup of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with this warm saline mixture for 30 seconds.
- Spit out the rinse – but remember you don’t have swallow it.
- Repeat this process two to three times a day.
2. Guava Leaves:
Guava leaves have long been used effectively for oral hygiene due to their antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. These properties have a positive effect on controlling plaque.
Uses of guava leaf in oral hygiene:
- Reduces gum inflammation
- Relieves pain
- Helps to freshen breath
- Reduces gingivitis
- Helps to keep teeth and gum strong
- Quick, short-term relief from toothache
How to use guava leaves to improve gum and teeth health
- Grind five to six tender guava leaves.
- Put the crushed leaves in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Boil this solution for 15 minutes.
- After that let the solution cool down and add a little salt.
- Now it is ready for use.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash for 30 seconds and finally spit it out.
- Try repeating this to two to three times each day to get results.
3. Clove application:
Cloves are easily available in every household. It helps in relieving cough or cold, relieves headache and can be helpful in controlling blood sugar. Along with this, clove is used for oral hygiene as well. Cloves have pain-relieving properties, which help in managing toothache. Although more specific research is needed to substantiate this, several studies still point to clove’s ability to prevent plaque and reduce inflammation.
Way to apply clove topically
- Mince as many cloves as you can to fill at least 1 tablespoon.
- Dip a moist cotton ball in the minced cloves, pour as much of the minced as possible on the cotton ball.
- Now gently rub the clove-covered cotton ball onto your gum area.
- After this, leave the clove on your gums for about a minute.
- Now take some water in your mouth and swish it around your mouth to collect the cloves.
4. Turmeric gel application:
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric gel is able to effectively prevent plaque and gingivitis. Turmeric is also antimicrobial and anti-fungal, due to which it can also help in healing bleeding and reddening of the gums. You can use turmeric or curcumin gel as a treatment. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, so you can label it either. But remember, if you have any kind of allergy to turmeric, do not use it.
How to apply turmeric gel?
- Brush your teeth and rinse well.
- Apply the gel to your gums.
- Let the gel sit for 10 minutes.
- Take water and swish it around your mouth to collect the entire gel.
- Finally, spit out the water.
- Repeat this twice a day to get better results.
Begin your health journey today with Metropolis TruHealth test packages. Explore here.
When to see the dentist?
The sooner you get treatment for your gingivitis, the better your chances of a quick and complete recovery. If it is not treated, serious damage to your teeth structures can occur. It can also lead to other systemic health problems.
If you have any of the following symptoms, ensure to consult your dentist-
- Severe tooth pain.
- Extremely bad breath.
- Gums that bleed a lot.
- Extremely swollen or inflamed gums.
- Loose teeth
The dentist can teach you how to use dental tools and products to keep your gums healthy. To ensure good dental hygiene, it is recommended that you visit the dentist at least once a year.
You can expect to see improvement after a few days of treatment, but it may take some time for the symptoms to go away completely or you may even need to go to the dentist, it all depends on the problem. In most cases, gingivitis usually clears up within 10 to 14 days with the right treatment. If the gum disease is more severe, it may take longer to control.
Along with the above home remedies for a better oral health, you have to follow some simple things like:
- Brush twice a day for at least two minutes.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Use a mouthwash once or twice a day, preferably after meals.
Try to include these things in your daily routine, because healthy teeth are the hallmark of a lovely smile.