5-HIAA – Urine 24 Hours50+ booked in last 3 days
5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) helps to regulate the levels of serotonin by breaking down excess serotonin into 5-HIAA, which is then excreted in the urine. It is a breakdown product of serotonin, which is produced by certain types of tumours, including carcinoid tumours of the mid-gut.
5-HIAA – Urine 24 Hours Price
Metropolis Healthcare is a leading diagnostics centre and pathology lab in India equipped with the latest state-of-the-art technologies that provides the 5-HIAA – Urine 24 Hours with a clear pricing structure.
The 5-HIAA – Urine 24 Hours Price in Mumbai is ₹ 3,445 .
We are committed to deliver accurate and quality results from the best labs in India with complete transparency regarding test cost and turnaround time. No matter where you are, we strive to offer patients high-quality service that is affordable and accessible.
Frequently Asked Questions
This test measures the levels of 5-HIAA in your urine over 24 hours.
- To detect and monitor carcinoid tumours of the mid-gut
- To evaluate the effectiveness of treatment for carcinoid tumours,
- To diagnose and monitor other conditions that affect serotonin levels,
- To assess the risk of developing carcinoid syndrome.
Your doctor might recommend this test if you have
- A previous diagnosis of carcinoid tumours,
- A family history or genetic risk factors for carcinoid tumours,
- Symptoms suggestive of other serotonin-related conditions such as depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders.
Elevated levels of 5-HIAA in urine may indicate the presence of a carcinoid tumour or other conditions that affect serotonin levels.
Here’s what you should expect during this test:
• You will be given a special container to collect all your urine over 24 hours.
• The sample should be kept refrigerated until it is brought to the laboratory for testing.
To prepare for this test, remember the following points:
- Consult your healthcare provider for specific directions before the test.
- Drink plenty of fluids and follow any other instructions provided by your doctor.
You might be asked to provide a CT scan, ultrasound report, and medication history to help your doctor interpret the test results
Other tests that may be ordered alongside 5-HIAA test include
- Chromogranin A Testing: This blood test measures the chromogranin A hormone and is used to help diagnose and monitor carcinoid tumours.
- Gastrin Testing: This blood test measures the hormone gastrin and helps diagnose gastrinomas – tumours that produce excess amounts of gastrin.
- CT Scan or MRI: Imaging tests like CT scans or MRI may be used to locate and identify tumours in different parts of the body.
24-hour urine 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid test or the 24-hour urine 5-HIAA test.
Cancer of the mid-gut or mid-gut carcinoid develops in the digestive tract, usually growing slowly in the small intestine, appendix, or colon. The tumors can be non-cancerous or cancerous and may produce too many hormones, such as 5-HIAA in your blood.
Ratings & Reviews (0)
Metropolis has a team of 200 senior pathologists and over 2000 technicians delivering diagnostic solutions in the areas of routine, semi specialty and super specialty domains like Oncology, Neurology, Gynaecology, Nephrology and many more.
We offer a comprehensive range of 4000+ clinical laboratory tests and profiles, which are used for prediction, early detection, diagnostic screening, confirmation and/or monitoring of the disease.