Diarrhea is characterized by unusual loose or watery stools. Most cases of diarrhea are caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Disorders of the digestive system can also cause chronic diarrhea. Talking about statistics, every year 2 billion people are affected with diarrhea. Not only this, research has also shown that there are 1.9 million children in developing countries who are below 5 years of age, who lose their lives due to this disease every year. Know about the natural home remedies for diarrhea to prevent or cure it.
Repeated loose motions can cause electrolyte imbalance in the body. Make sure to keep an eye on your electrolytes levels.
Diarrhea is one of the most common health conditions people face in day-to-day life. And, often, they look for diarrhea home remedies to cure it. But, are you sure you are using the right natural home remedies for diarrhea or just a shot in the dark? It is all the more important to know what works and what not as the severity of diarrhea can range from a simple or temporary condition to a risky one at any time.
Here are some simple Home Remedies For Diarrhea:
Follow BRAT that helps in recovering from diarrhea:
It is important to know that the brat diet does not provide balanced nutrition and should not be consumed for more than 2 days (you’ll feel better in 2-3 days in mild cases).
Now how does this help? The purpose is to eat bland, easy-to-digest food to let your gut rest and produce less stool. However, there are some experts who do not approve of this diet for significant benefits. You can speak with your doctor to know if it will work in your case or not.
- Raw Bananas: This one works wonders for most of the people. Raw bananas are rich in pectin, a fiber that helps absorb water from the intestines and firms up the stool, and oligofructans to nourish your gut. It is also a rich source of potassium. Low potassium is a major effect of chronic diarrhea.
- Probiotics: At many times,the imbalance of good and bad gut bacteria can cause diarrhea. Probiotics are your best friends in such cases. These are nothing but a way of increasing your good gut bacteria and thus overcoming the negative effects of gut microbiota imbalance. Probiotics include curd, yogurt, and other fermented foods.
In 2010, researchers conducted a large appropriate review of 63 studies on probiotics with more than 8,000 participants. From this research, they found that probiotics are capable of stopping any type of diarrhea in a very short time. Along with this, they also found that there would have been no ill-effects of this.
- Home-made ORS: It is essential to hydrate the body to recover from diarrhea. Loss of fluids can cause a deficiency of sodium and chloride i.e., electrolytes in the body. It is therefore important to restore fluids for recovery. You can also make an oral rehydration solution (ORS) at home by mixing 5 tsp salt and 5-6 tsp sugar in 1 litre of water. Consuming sugar and salt along with water allows the intestine to absorb fluids better. This solution rehydrates the body more properly after diarrhea than water alone.
- Mint, salt and sugar in lukewarm water: Mint is a traditional remedy for indigestion, bloating, and diarrhea. Sugar and salt help maintain electrolyte balance and water levels in your body.
Foods to Avoid in Diarrhea:
Stop yourself from consuming certain types of food. For example;
- Greasy and oily food
- Spicy food
- Foods which contain artificial sweeteners
- Foods that contain high fat
Very few people can have diarrhea when consuming milk and milk products, a condition called lactose intolerance. Your doctor can even forbid taking milk.
Have a healthy gut
A diet of small, frequent meals may be better than eating three large meals a day when recovering from diarrhea. The following items should be included in the diet-
- Foods rich in potassium
- Foods rich in pectin
- Foods rich in electrolytes
- Enough fluids
Diarrhea can be a life-threatening disease if not treated properly and at the right time. If you feel that your diarrhea has not been cured even after diarrhea home remedies, do not waste time and get yourself treated by an expert.