TORCH-850+ booked in last 3 days
TORCH-8 Test Overview
TORCH is an acronym from five potential infectious agents that can be transmitted from mother to foetus through the placenta. These viruses can cause serious congenital malformations especially when mother acquires the infection for the first time during the first trimester.
The full form of TORCH is toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus (CMV), herpes simplex (HSV). This test should not be used in isolation to diagnose an infection.
-Written by - Dr.Shibani R, Medical Writer, Medical Affairs
Metropolis Healthcare is a leading diagnostics centre and pathology lab in India equipped with the latest state-of-the-art technologies that provides the TORCH-8 with a clear pricing structure.
The TORCH-8 Price in Mumbai is ₹ 3,150 .
We are committed to deliver accurate and quality results from the best labs in India with complete transparency regarding test cost and turnaround time. No matter where you are, we strive to offer patients high-quality service that is affordable and accessible.
Frequently Asked Questions
This test measures IgM and IgG antibodies against Toxoplasma, CMV, Rubella, HSV 1 & 2 in the blood.
Depending on the underlying infections the symptoms may vary. However, the following are some common conditions:
- Unexplained growth retardation of the foetus
- Fetal hydrops, fetal brain lesions and other sonographic markers of fetal infection
- Pregnant women with non-vesicular rash and other suggestive symptoms
- Pregnant women with significant exposure to patients with Rubella or Parvovirus B19 infection
- TORCH 8 panel is indicated for pregnancy where congenital foetal infection is suspected i.e., IUGR, foetal hydrops, USG changes.
- Patients with significant contact with patients suffering from rubella should also be investigated.
- If during pregnancy it is proven that there has been exposure of foetus to these infections, then the test should be performed to confirm the same.
- TORCH 8 panel is ideally indicated before pregnancy or during the first antenatal visit during the first trimester. If the test is positive before pregnancy, then chances of any serious infection to foetus are very remote. If this test is positive during pregnancy, then an IgG avidity test or PCR test would be required to confirm if infection is current or had happened in past.
This test requires a blood sample. A tourniquet (elastic) band is placed tightly on the upper arm. The patient is then asked to make a fist. This helps in the build-up of blood filling the veins. The skin is disinfected before needle insertion and the blood sample is collected in vacutainer.
TORCH IgM positive -
This may indicate a recent infection. However, IgM antibodies can be false positive and also the levels of the antibodies may remain elevated till 6 months.
It is important to time when the infection was acquired by the mother; this can be done through IgG avidity testing.
- IgG antibody test to Toxoplasma
- IgM antibody test to Toxoplasma
- CMV test
- Rubella test
Toxoplasma infections are common in humans and are usually mild & asymptomatic. Toxoplasma infections may pose a significant medical risk in pregnant women, newborns & immunocompromised individuals such as due to solid organ transplant patients, Bone marrow transplants patients, HIV, malignancy immunosuppressive therapy etc either due to a newly acquired infection or reactivation of a latent infection
Cytomegalovirus infections are common in humans and are usually mild & asymptomatic. CMV infections may pose a significant medical risk in pregnant women, newborns & immunocompromised individuals. Diagnosis should be made using a combination of medical history, clinical scenario, epidemiological factors, lab & imaging investigations.
The diagnosis of HSV infections is routinely based on Clinical findings and supported by Lab findings. primarily using PCR to detect HSV viral DNA or viral culture.
Ratings & Reviews (0)
Metropolis has a team of 200 senior pathologists and over 2000 technicians delivering diagnostic solutions in the areas of routine, semi specialty and super specialty domains like Oncology, Neurology, Gynaecology, Nephrology and many more.
We offer a comprehensive range of 4000+ clinical laboratory tests and profiles, which are used for prediction, early detection, diagnostic screening, confirmation and/or monitoring of the disease.