Every third person in the world is struggling with obesity as per some reports. Weight gain has emerged as a major lifestyle disease in the current times. Thanks to the unhealthily delicious junk food items available just a tap over the phone, almost nil physical activity levels and sleepless nights! Excessive weight isn’t about just weighing a few more kilos, it is in fact a risk factor for a plethora of health problems including hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol levels, etc. Being overweight can lead to musculoskeletal disorders also. Not just this, obesity has been identified as a factor that can increase your risk of developing severe COVID-19.
From 1975 to 2016, the prevalence of overweight or obese children and adolescents aged 5–19 years increased more than fourfold from 4% to 18% globally.
Losing weight: The real struggle
While most people understand the health risks associated with obesity, losing weight remains a big challenge. Do you know losing weight is one of the top new year resolutions every year?
When it comes to weight loss, your diet plays a quintessential role. Many experts say weight loss is 30% exercise and 70% diet. Here we have enlisted top 6 food choices that can boost metabolism and help you lose inches:
Top 6 foods that helps in weight loss
- High-protein foods: Foods that are high in protein such as lean meat, eggs, dairy, nuts, etc., can increase your metabolic rate for a few hours. This is because your body needs more energy to digest such food. This is called the Thermic effect of food. TEF refers to the use of calories during the digestion process. Research shows that protein-rich foods increase TEF the most. For example, they increase your metabolic rate by 15–30%, compared with 5–10% for carbs and 0–3% for fat (trusted source). The more protein you have in your body, the less you will feel hungry. Due to which you will be able to save yourself from overeating.
- Foods rich in iron and vitamin C: Iron-rich food is essential for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland, which helps regulate your metabolism. Research shows that eating foods that are lacking in iron can reduce the thyroid ability to produce enough hormones, which could slow down your metabolism. If you want your thyroid to function at its best, you should include foods that are rich in iron. Also, couple your iron intake with vitamin C. This helps enhance absorption of iron.
- Chili peppers: Chili pepper contains an element called capsaicin. These chemical increases metabolism in your body. This may help your body burn extra calories. A review of 20 research studies suggests that capsaicin supplements themselves can help your body burn about 50 extra calories per day. A research done on 200 people found that people who were consuming 2 mg of capsaicin before every meal burnt extra calories.
- Black coffee: The caffeine found in coffee can help in increasing our metabolic rate. Several studies have shown that people who consume at least 270 milligrams of caffeine daily, or the equivalent of about 3 cups of coffee, can burn up to an additional 100 calories per day. However, remember to consult your dietitian and do not overdo the caffeine intake as it can interfere with sleep and digestion.
- Quinoa: This can be rightly called as super grain when it comes to weight loss. It is packed with protein and fiber and contains approximately 220 calories per cup. Moreover, it provides various amino acids, which means it can be converted directly into muscle by the body.
6. Fruits and Nuts: Do you know anapple contains upward of 5 grams of fiber? Most fruits and nuts are rich in fibers and good fat. Hence, they are more filling compared to snacks of similar calorie amounts. You feel fuller, eat less junk throughout the day, and lose weight. What’s more? The fiber also helps keep the gut microbiome healthy and balanced. Having a healthy gut microbiome is an essential component of a good metabolism and maintaining a healthy weight.
The Final and (most important) advice
Besides taking care of your diet, make sure to drink enough water and keep yourself hydrated. Water helps you keep off extra calories by replacing the diet soda or fruit juice, both of which are full of sugar that can invite on the belly fat super fast. Maintain a good sleep schedule and ensure to get 7-8 hours of sound nap. Insomnia is notorious for causing weight gain issues in young adults. Make sure to get your health parameters checked from time to time as certain diseases like low thyroid levels can also cause you to gain weight. Book your health package here.